Friday, July 29, 2011

Ceremony readings

Sometimes I can't decide what I want this blog to be.
Sometimes it is a reflection and keepsake of my own wedding.
Sometimes I see new ideas that fit my theme perfectly, that i wish i'd seen earlier and that i want to share.
Sometimes I want to write about different events entirely... that aren't even rustic.  But this isn't the place. I'll save those ideas for another blog.
This is about the rustic garden party. Our rustic garden party. And the frame of mind, inspiration and fun things that made us plan it.
So.. let me share more of 'us' with you. The bits we chose, not just because they were pretty, but because they were meaningful, special and 'us'.

Here is a reading from our wedding. It was read by Adam's niece and nephew. (who are actually now my niece and nephew too, i suppose!).


It is an excerpt from a children's book from the 1960's: I LIKE YOU, by Sandol Stoddard Warburg.

I like you and I know why.
I like you because you are a good person to like.
I like you because when I tell you something special, you know it's special
And you remember it a long, long time.
You say, Remember when you told me something special?
And both of us remember

When I think something is important
you think it's important too
We have good ideas
When I say something funny, you laugh
I think I'm funny and you think I'm funny too

You know how to be silly
That's why I like you
Boy are you silly
I never met anybody sillier than me till I met you
I like you because you know when it's time to stop being silly
Maybe day after tomorrow
Maybe never

I like you because I don't know why but
Everything that happens is nicer with you
I can't remember when I didn't like you
It must have been lonesome then

If you go away, then I go away too
or if I stay home, you send me a postcard
You don't just say “Well see you around sometime, bye”
And I like you because if we go away together
And if I get lost
Then you are the one that is yelling for me

I will go on choosing you
And you will go on choosing me
Over and over again
That's how it will happen every time
I don't know why I really like you
I guess I just like you
I guess I just like you because I like you

Jake and Molly (afore-mentioned niece and nephew) did a fantastic job. Truly fantastic. It was one of the most emotional parts of the ceremony. They are cool kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment